Gooseberry

Join us as we learn to listen, learn to love, and learn to follow. Jesus.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What's Your Hurry

Ever stop and wonder why the disciples and those following Jesus always "rebuked" (I supposed our words would be "fussed-at") those folks who needed Jesus. It seems they were indignant at all the beggers who simply wanted to be touched, healed, noticed, or cured of some horrible affliction. They didn't seem to like it any better when the snotty-nosed kids crawled all over Him either. I'm sure insensed hardly covered it when he called one of those same youngins' to the front and made a public example of him (or her).
We can't know for sure, but don't you get the feeling, as we go along with the Men of Twelve that they seem to have an agenda. They seem to be looking forward to something. And though the Master has talked of carrying crosses and serving one another as a means of greatness--I think they have yet to get past their notion of the coming Kingdom. In fairness, I'm sure if I lived during this time I would have liked nothing more than riding victoriously through the streets of Jerusalem crushing some Roman legionnaire under the hoof of my mighty steed. Heck, I'd probably been so vengeful I would've taken some pleasure in an entire empire's demise.
In Mark 10, right before Jesus rides the colt into Jerusalem, we read as some folks in a large crowd (which included the twelve) rebuke a man for wanting to have his sight restored. You get the feeling that the whole group was thinking--"Shut up, Mister--we've got to get on with this if we are ever going to see our beloved Israel rise to glory--as in the days of Solomon".
Yet Jesus, always stops. He. . .always. . .stops. . .and. . .takes. . .His. . .time. . .to. . .love. . .on. . . .one. No kingdom coming is more important than the one. Actually, the kingdom coming is the one. . .then the next and so on. They didn't seem to get this. But neither do I. Neither do I.
I, too follow along wishing that those nearby with a need would just leave me alone for a minute. Just one minute of peace, PLEASE?!? I have an agenda--this must GET DONE!!!
But these interruptions to my plans are Divinely ordained. They are Jesus peaking through reminding me that the kingdom never comes in the power of my wisdom,planning, conspiring or demanding. The kingdom comes by stopping to love on the one who is needing me. To kiss a boo boo. To "put some cream on it". To "come see me do _____________".
Jesus, help me follow. Help me stop and meet the needs of those You have placed right in front of my face, even though I admit Lord, at times they are the ones I least want to serve.
"May you be covered with the dust of our Rabbi" (paraphrased, yet again).

No comments: