Gooseberry

Join us as we learn to listen, learn to love, and learn to follow. Jesus.

Friday, November 18, 2011

I Joined a Monastery

Uh, not really. But apparently God has planned for me a quasi-monastic life and I. . . I was yet unaware. Do you ever feel trapped by the monotony almost to the point of disillusionment? I mean we wake up, we EAT (which means I cook or my beloved makes peanut butter, honey) say that sorta sing-songy as my two-yea- old Solomon does. . . we clean up (or not), we do laundry, we do chores (though by the looks of it--that ain't happnin'), we EAT, we do school, we EAT, we run here, there and yon. . .we crash on the weekends, grab a spot on the couch and . . .yep, you guessed it-- EAT. Which leads me to the conclusion that all we really do is eat. And today, my soul is resounding with a big, fat ---for what? What is all this monotony about?
Of course, God has an answer and it came through the comments to a most wonderful post over at the Living Proof blog. The gist of the comment (which was from a nun) is that monastic life is designed to be monotonous so that we push through to something deeper--God barging through and revealing Himself right there in the kitchen when we are scrubbing the tile floors for the upteenth time this month! God, whispering His love as you bend over to change another diaper. Its funny really, cause I fight this usually. . .preferring instead to find another "high". . . another shot of all-things God to quench my addiction to the thrill-filled life. Perhaps Jesus is least present there. Perhaps it isn't Jesus at all, but the fake tossed out by the Enemy because he's pretty sure that some of us would rather "go for the glory" than to take off our robe and wash another's feet. Or scrub another toilet. Maybe that's why Jesus told Peter to get behind him--He was addressing Satan. . .so each time I long for my way. . .a kingdom of my own. . .castles (or fabulous book deals) I have built. . . just maybe I'll listen as Jesus says, I arranged this life for you. . .because it is here that you can find Me. . .here where you can follow Me---then my joy will be in you and your joy will be full.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, Joy I am trying one more time to respond.. I can't think of anything funny this time; after all if you say something about twelve times it looses something in the translation... But I do want you to keep wriiting; I really enjoy reading it.
Love,
Mom