Gooseberry

Join us as we learn to listen, learn to love, and learn to follow. Jesus.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

He Is Present

He is present. He is---and sometimes in the race to feed five kids, plan school lessons, run to ballet, soccer, piano--just to survive this day--I forget. . .I forget that the reason I'm so tired is because He is gracious enough to wake me in the middle of the night to give me "hidden treasures of wisdom and knowledge" (Col. 2:3). He is kind enough to remind me that obedience is not figuring out how to do what God has assigned me as my job. . . no, obedience is allowing God to do what "He has purposed to do through me". (Experiencing God, Blackaby) He uses the most unusual means to announce He's here. The children who constantly need something. . .He's disguising Himself in them. The spouse who needs to be made a priority or just simply needs my smile. Yes, Lord you know how to hide. But You're here, aren't You. . . You are Present in this mess working out redemption in the most unusual spaces. A dirty kitchen, messy bedrooms, more errands than time. . .funny Jesus, this isn't the way I pictured "rebuilding the ancient ruins and restoring the places long devestated"(Isaiah 61). You remind me that those closest to you didn't understand that You were building a kingdom--not with weapons and rebellion and war and power ---but instead with a robe removed, hands reaching out to wash dirty feet and an assigment as simple as "feed my sheep". How Lord, are you going to make beauty from what the world calls wasted. A wasted life some would say, staying home to wipe snotty noses and comb tattered hair and washing dirty jeans . . .You are rebuilding the generations and one day I will see--and it will be wonderful in my eyes.
Because You are here, you have "pitched Your tent" in the midst of us --just as promised.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Amen, little do we see that we are preparing future kingdom builders, so that the chain of builders for Jesus's Kingdom does not become broken. That our light may shine forth. Great piece of writing, I will be visiting again.