Gooseberry

Join us as we learn to listen, learn to love, and learn to follow. Jesus.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

What If?

What if we are missing out on the greatest Love of our life? What if we are exchanging the most thrilling adventure for a mulch-piled-high landscaped comfort zone? What if the American dream married our self-sufficient arrogance and produced indulgent-yet-bored offspring. Could it be that we are missing the forest while staring at the trees? Shaking our heads in unbelief simply because it really should depend on us more. If I can’t figure out how to help God run His world. . .then I’ll. . .I’ll just pack up my toys and leave the sandbox.
I recently finished the autobiography of George Muller (the nineteenth century saint who relied solely on God to provide for thousands of orphans) and I was blown away by his story. Correction—I was blown away by the tangible, real answers to prayer that sustained this amazing ministry. Still shaking my head, it was as if God was speaking about prayer every time that Bible was opened. Zechariah and Elizabeth. . .the second Psalm. . .so it got me to thinking. What if God doesn’t need our advice, our input or our solutions to world problems? What if He is simply waiting on His children to give up their own agenda (you know that whole crucified life thing) and take up the work of prayer. What if He simply wants the joy of our company? Don’t get me wrong—I’m not implying that our prayer is what gets God to act according to His will and good purposes. I totally believe that ultimately God’s will in this universe trumps anything else. After all, “the God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else” (Acts 17:24). But, He designed a world in which we “seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find him, though He is not far from each one of us” (Acts 17:27). How amazing that God would be pleased to condescend to us in relationship. Yet, we—I mean I, squander that relationship trying to “do great things for God”, when what He really wants is a child who will look up, take His hand and walk with Him. Loving mercy. Doing justice. Walking hand in hand.
So, I think I'm giving up my self-inflated ego fed dreams of what a super star I can be for God. Seems that role is pretty well taken already (I mean have you seen the press some of our "christian leaders" get). Funny really. . . a first century rabbi eventually completely deserted and we have mega church leaders. Go figure. (Digression resolved--back to regularly scheduled blog)
Since I'm pretty anonymous anyway. . .and I really do want to know that I can trust completely. . . what'd ya' say? Wanna walk together prayerfully depending on a God who promises faithfulness. Wanna record that faithfulness--not for our own glory--heaven forbid--(which I'm absolutely sure He does) but for our own children and anyone else who might be encouraged?


What if we decided to make much of God--for the glory of God--by abiding in Jesus through believing prayer--and this for the encouragement and discipleship of others by looking to where Jesus is working and then prayerfully joining? Sounds like I've got myself a mission statement--I do dearly love having it spelled out simply and succintly.


Who's in?


May the road you travel this Holy Week be prayerful,


Joy

No comments: