Gooseberry

Join us as we learn to listen, learn to love, and learn to follow. Jesus.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Are You Living the Christian Life On Your Own? Don't Even Try!

God has been impressing on me two words over the past couple of days---Holy Spirit---and so questions seem to flow much more rapidly than at times I could write them down. Questions such as:




If the Holy Spirit is central to our life in Christ, why do I know so little about Him?


Why does the church so often teach so little about Him?


If, according to Jesus, "we can do nothing apart from Him", why are we more diligent to teach our children rules/behaviors than we are to help them recognize the Spirit and "keep in step" with Him, as Paul urged the Galatians?




Then it occured to me as I was listening to a God-ordained-for-me-at-this-moment message from David Platt. . .the grand ephiphany--I could fall into the same category as the Israelites and live my entire "Christian life" apart from the power and Presence of God. Seriously, you ask? How much of my life--either at home, school, work, etc. do I need and rely on God. Probably very little. I don't pray "give me this day, my daily bread"--I've got cabinets full. I even have a five, ten, (gasp) fifteen year plan. I could fool everyone into thinking I am this "good little (uh, medium to large) Christian" (whatever that is). . .especially given we don't have much company. I have substituted the blessings of God for the Presence and power and fruit of His Spirit and I am dumb enough to pause. . .much, much later than it would take most people and say. . .something is not right!!!




So, I said to God this very afternoon--that's me--you remember when Moses was saying to God--Exodus 33--if You don't go with us how will we be distinguished from all the other nations. I thought, and said--that's me--without your Presence how will I (or anyone, for that matter) be any different than all the other "christians". (I'm putting that in quotes to refer to the massive amount of people who would label themselves christian with no real thought that it is anything other than a label for those of a Judeo-Western-Culture-American birth).




Seriously, I feel as if I (maybe you feel the same way) have a plan for how things are gonna go and I have given zero real thought to listening to the Holy Spirit much less keeping up with where He leads. Oh, I don't mind asking God to bless my plans, my life--but seriously give God a blank check with my life to do with as He pleases. . .uh, let me think about that. Do I even need to wonder why on earth I am not "doing greater things than this". . . God help me!! GOD HELP ME!!




So, as I'm in this state of "God, help me to know the Presence of Your Spirit in my heart--in my life"--I'll share a couple of hopeful thoughts that He is giving me.




1. God promises that if we ask--He's a good Father and will give us the Holy Spirit. (Luke 11:13)


2. We will know the Spirit's Presence in our lives. (John 14:15-19)


3. We will live lives characterized by the power of God not our ability to figure out a plan. (2Cor.4)




So now, I turn (repent), pray, wait patiently for the Lord. The Celtics used to call this Christian life chasing the wild Goose. . . I hope that characterizes my life of keeping in step with the Spirit. Jonathon Edwards once wrote, "only God can do the work of God"--and I so desperately want to be a vessel.




Love journeying with you,




Joy


No comments: