Gooseberry

Join us as we learn to listen, learn to love, and learn to follow. Jesus.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Our Conundrum

A conundrum--a riddle or play on words--and while the following isn't exactly a conundrum it was fun watching the puzzled looks on my childrens' faces. Mainly, on the ten-year-old's face as the others got frustrated and moved on. (They are, after all, only seven and five.) More confusion followed but that is to be expected when trying to explain the complexities of our God using only words. Or body language. Or wild, fanciful gestures. Nothing captures His God-ness. Nothing. But I wrote these two lines on the board anyway:




You were created by God, for God, to do the work of God.




Only God can do the work of God. (writing of Jonathon Edwards during the Great Awakening)




"How children, can both of these statements be true?" I ask.




The answer, I got to explain in words that they did not fully understand-- The Holy Spirit.




What am I saying, I don't even fully understand. But the following words by Francis Chan about had me undone this morning as I sat in my rocker warming my legs before the fire (nevermind its gonna be 63 degrees today--a fire makes me think better):




Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as the "Helper" or "Comforter." Let me ask you a simple question: Why would we need to experience the "Comforter" if our lives are already comfortable? (Forgotten God, p. 107)




Uh, is all I can say--then blankly stare at the fire. All this time I have worked and prayed so desperately hard that my life would be pain free, stress free, worry free--comfortable. You mean, Lord that might not be "your will for my life"?




Joy




No comments: