Gooseberry

Join us as we learn to listen, learn to love, and learn to follow. Jesus.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Jesus I Never Knew

Recently, when Jesus whispered to my heart, "you need to get to know Me" I was a bit taken back, as (a) that wasn't the question I had just posed and (b) why would I need to get to know You, I've accepted Your salvation and I've been learning about You since--well, a long time (and those of you who were also at church every time the doors swung open can relate). It occurs to me that one reason I need to get to know the true, Biblical Jesus is because I seem to have taken the "Sunday school version" into my adult life. Not that there is anything wrong with that--I don't begin to know where I'd be without the foundation I gained at FPC Sweetwater, TN. Just this morning, I was cleaning my windows and the vinegar smell took my mind floating back to the days of my beloved Christian Daycare Center. Sadly though, I think that perhaps the true Jesus may have been softened there to protect me. I get that. I totally skip over periods in history (or at least gloss them over) so that my very sensitive ten-year-old's heart can be protected. I know, I know. . .parts of history are horrific. I should teach the truth. Yes, but for a bit I'd like to keep her heart innocent and carefree. The hard stuff will come.




Which takes me to the point. I have always just thought of Jesus as "sweet". I mean isn't that the picture our minds pose at the words "meek and gentle of Spirit"? I, for one, must not have a proper framework for meek because the Jesus I have encountered these past few days on the pages of Scripture is anything but "sweet" (at least the way my mind contrived the word).




Jesus comes on the scene and to say the Messiah is not what anyone expected would be a gross understatement. We know that Jesus was at odds with the Pharisees and ruling Jewish establishment but check out Luke 6:6-11. Seems He has went from "at odds" to exceedingly upset. Jesus essentially gets up in front of a large crowd at the synagogue and calls out all of the leaders for how they are twisting the law to prevent someone from being healed. So I ask you --and me--when was the last time we saw a group of lead pastors get called out in front of a church for not doing what was right in the eyes of our Father. Do you think Jesus would ever approve of a "church" budget that gave more to self-serving programs to benefit the rich (that's us) than to feeding our brothers and sisters who are starving.? Yeah, me either. The tragic part is we don't have enough of the passion of Jesus or the fear of the Lord to have the courage to do what He did and challenge the status quo. At least I don't.




He seemed to have an affinity for upsetting the establishment, didn't He? Calling a tax collector. This was a hard concept for me to "get" because, quite frankly, I am a spoiled American middle-class woman. I've never lived under the oppression of occupation. I've never seen one of my fellow Americans take my hard earned money and give it to the enemy-- my oppressor. So, this one slipped by me. But can you imagine what it was like for Jews to watch their fellow countrymen take money from their poor to line the pockets of the indulgent, bloated Romans? Then, this traitor gets called to be a follower of the Messiah--a disciple. Really? God must indeed look on the heart cause this seems nuts to me.




Lest you think Jesus was only ticked with those who should have been helping to remove the burdens from His people, Jesus seemed to have a "word" for His followers as well. You know the whole Sermon on the Mount. . .love your enemy, bless those who curse you, turn the other cheek. Yeah, that sorta slipped by me as well. My rationalization usually went something like this, " Lord I'll be nice to those who don't like me, but quite frankly I can't imagine who that might be--I am, after all, extremely likable!" However, the Jews, who--just like today--had their fair share of enemies might've been thinking, " let's get this straight--Jesus expects me to begin reciting blessings over the Romans--the very barbarians who are crucifing our people on the side of these dusty Palestinian roads". If a Roman centurion strikes me, I am to turn and let him strike the other side of my head? Then Jesus goes further and takes the blessing of God-- the "year of the Lord's favor" and bestows it on a centurion's servant --pausing only long enough to commend the warrior's faith--to His followers--the "chosen of God". (See Luke 7:1-10) I can't even get my mind around it. Sorta be like asking the church to speak down blessing on abortion doctors and terrorists and queers. Or like commending the faith of a drug smuggler. Exactly when was the last time you saw a fancy-schmancy church goer bend down and apply salve to the wound of someone dying of AIDS or journey to the "hood" to love on those who believe their worth is found in the loot they are acquiring from running those drugs? Yeah, I'm too afraid as well.




Jesus was so radical and worked so counter to anyone's expectation that even John the Baptist--forerunner to the Messiah--sent his disciples to double check that Jesus was indeed who He said He was. After all, seems to me that the Messiah was gonna be the one to restore Israel to her former glory. How in the world was the glory of God going to shine on His people if they were blessing, serving and loving the enemy? Got me.




The only thing that makes sense so far to me is after one particularly hard teaching John records the following, "From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed Him" (John 6:66). My guess is I would've ran for my life long before that encounter.




I wonder if we have so tamed the Lion of Judah in our minds, in our churches, in our homes that it is easy to follow Him. Seems pretty easy to me. Yet for those who actually heard Him speak, felt His embrace, touched His wounds--it was anything but easy. If our version of the "crucified life" seems simple and appealing to the masses we might want to pull out the gospels and meet the Jesus we never knew.




He is scaring the life outta me--




Joy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post I could not have said so better myself