Gooseberry

Join us as we learn to listen, learn to love, and learn to follow. Jesus.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Just Being Himself

God just keeps being God, doesn't He. And when we decide, for one reason or another that we are or are not going to (fill in the blank) He often decides, in His infinite wisdom to change our minds. So it seems with us recently. You see, we were sure that our faith would grow best out unleahsed in the wild-- without the constraints of "organized church". I still think that is partly true. Our faith needs to be our own. . . not mom or dads, or even our pastors (though his often looks more robust doesn't it?)! And by constraints I mean the authoritative power which we often bestow on well-meaning (at least I hope they are, though I fear otherwise) if misguided leaders. I'll be honest--I've witnessed a "pastor" misquote scripture ( which I was staring at --then proceed to expound--INACCURATELY--upon what he had just misquoted to establish a man-made doctrine). I've been the recipient of power that was abused. And it hurts. And I say this seriously, God does not take this lightly. Orthodox theology must be true for all people in all places and at all times. We can't decide that God is far more concerned about some of our social stands than He is about His glory. The western church desperately needs to get a grip. But that really wasn't what I was going to write about. So I shall hop off the soap box.
Okay, now. . . so anyway, we thought that we would leave the confines of organized religion and pursue God out where we can feel the wind of the Holy Spirit in our faces. "Follow the wild goose" as some of our Gaelic friends would have said. And we are so thankful for the time we have met with God in our own personal spaces. It's a start toward healing our distrust. But while I'm certain that God takes very seriously the abuses done in His name--He, I'm convinced, desperately wants His children to live like family. Not like orphans. We really do have brothers and sisters here and throughout the world. So He has sent some our way. One is a pastor and his family who we really like. But more importantly, this man speaks a Word to me each Sunday that I sit under his teaching. I suspect this is of God because this pastor and his family seem so. . . not like us. Not. at. all. like. us. They are refined and classy (at least they seem to be). We, well we're the family that has ruts in the yard because my man can't seem to fit his truck on the available concrete space. Oh yeah, and he decides to grow his mammoth pumpkins in the flower beds, because "if you can't eat it, what's the point of growing it". Really, he said that. Hide your impressionable children. We. are. that. family. The ones who embarass the whole neighborhood. But my husband respects him. Is impressed with the wisdom he has seen and heard from this pastor. And I'm happy because he (the pastor) lets me add an addendum to his Sunday morning sermons. Not outloud. He isn't even aware I do it. But I come home thinking--and here is what I think today.
Today's message was about Jacob, and I do dearly love the story of the Patriarchs. Our family can relate to this type of imperfection. But three things this morning keep ringing in my head from the message:
1. We don't have to "help" God keep His promises. He is faithful. We can relax.
2. God's life for us is not necessarily the life we would have chosen for ourselves. (This is one point of orthodox theology I have wrestled with over and over and over. I don't like it--neither did Eve apparently and her choice to be in control didn't turn out so well. Mine doesn't usually either).
3. What is my stew? (You'd have to listen to the whole message and if you want just send me a comment and I'll direct you to it).
But I wanted to add the following addendum. I am convinced that if we would get in our head and in our heart that God is faithful to what He promises us--we would live in the freedom that He bought at a very high price. Second, if we would let Him, God would take that which the enemy has used to tempt us, trap us or otherwise wreak havoc in our lives- our stew-He would take that very achilles heel and use it to beat the livin' daylights out of our enemy. We were meant to live victorious. Secure. Steadfast. We were meant pull ourselves up to a "table set before us in the presence of our enemy" (Psalm 23). We have cowed to him too long. It's time to take God at His word. Ask Him to make those promises living breathing realities in our lives. I think I'm gonna.
God, help me walk the next leg of this journey unafraid,
Joy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes,
This is hard to do, leaving fear behind, but I think one reason is because we think of God as a gentle lamb (which he can be), but we forget that he is the KING of the jungle (life). HE is the LION of JUDAH..... Sometimes it helps to remember this...

Love it,
Keep Writing
Mom